How I Met Your Mother

My favorite show of all time, How I Met Your Mother, ended on Monday......with a precious series finale.

In the fan world, there was apparently a lot of people who were not happy with the ending.  Honestly, when it comes to TV, I am not a huge details person.  I sort of half-watch everything.  This show I watch more intently, but I still can't remember much of the details.  This whole last season has been the best yet.  I have loved how they reminisced while still staying current.

Seriously, while there are lots of vulgar parts of the show (Brett never watched it with me), it was so well written.  The show referenced so many sweet/funny/goofy memories from my childhood, so it was extra funny and interesting to me.

The series finale was not what I had anticipated, but it stayed true to the integrity of the show.  I actually held it together for the first 50 minutes of the show, but the last 10 minutes just ended it for me, emotionally.  It may or may not have involved a newborn baby :).  I bawled my eyes out (which I expected to happen).

While the show itself is my most favorite ever, it was time for it to end.  So the reason I was emotional was not because it was ending......but because it started in 2005.  The year I got married.  So, as cheesy and stupid as it sounds, the show has been with me for the best decade of my life.

In preparation for the series finale, I've been rewatching the episodes from the beginning....while I clean the house.  I used to wish I had a TV in the kitchen, but my friend gave me the idea to use my iPad to watch Netflix while I clean.

The part that is so bittersweet is that things that happened in, say, 2007 on the show literally felt like they just happened a few months ago.  (The show takes place in chronological order, coinciding with real life years).

Time goes so quickly.  I know "they" always say that, but wow, rewatching HIMYM has brought that into a real-life perspective.

To add to the sentimental train, Caleb, Chloe, and I looked through our 2012 family scrapbook (you remember, the year of Chloe's bangs).  Those photos seem like they just happened yesterday.

I've been enjoying my kids so much lately (sans a trip to Ikea today, where Levi thew the worst tantrum I've ever faced as a mom.....and you know Ikea is IMPOSSIBLE to get out of on a normal, non-child-screaming wildly day.  I also lost his shoe at the park.  Just one of them.).  They are just incredibly precious and all at such great stages.

As my older two kids are entering the middle years, I AM LOVING the middle years.  They have such deep, heartfelt conversations.  They are growing bolder and developing character.  I love who they're becoming.
Luke is in a stage where he talks really cute and dreams up wild things.  He is just so hilariously precious.
Levi is the ultimate baby.  We ALL baby him and dote on him constantly.  He is just so easy going and fun.

There are still hard days, but I am finding them to be fewer and fewer.  I am entering into a new season of life.  My baby is almost 2.

Just last week, I went to the library, and there were loads of moms with strollers.....you know, their oldest kids are all under 3.  It literally took my breath away.  Those days feel like yesterday, but on that day, all four kids walked in the library on their own.  

It is just weird.

I randomly had a dream a few weeks ago where I was sitting in a college orientation at Wesleyan University, but I could feel, in the dream, that I was not supposed to be there.  I remembered I already had a college degree and a family to take care of.  The dream was longer and involved quite a few people from my past.

It seemed random, but a few days later, while watching HIMYM reruns, they mentioned a few of the characters' college days......at Wesleyan, of all places.

Now that I've finished HIMYM and reminisced about the past (almost) decade, there is a part of me that thinks that dream was God showing me that this truly is a new season of my life.  God speaks to me through dreams from time to time.  The show ending is just a physical representation of what God is doing spiritually in my life.

The last few months have been leading up to this point.  I've been on a journey with God and Him prompting me to start to ask what's next for me (now that my childbearing years are finished.....and I focus on raising my kids and pursuing callings that were impossible during the childbearing years).....and me starting to wonder what's in store.

As I've had a journey down memory lane lately, I am more encouraged for this new season of life.  As much as time passes so very quickly, I love seeing my kids grow up and become the people God has called them to be.  I love growing myself and becoming more of the woman I am called to be.

This has been a very interesting 2014.....as I've started wrestling with new dreams God is asking me to dream.  Another kind of weird thing is I feel like God calling me to quit our homeschool co-op.  We've done it for 3 years and have been happy with it, but I feel like we are being called away from it.
I am still trying to process through that.  I am fine to lay it down, but I wonder why.  The way I process things, I've come up with numerous reasons why it's a good decision (which helps me walk away to find reasons that justify quitting).  But I have to wonder if God isn't replacing it with something else.  I don't know.

I am in a season of unknowns.  And, now that I am writing about this, the series finale to HIMYM talked a lot about seasons of life.....how they change and how we change in the midst of them....how those 5 friends moved on in different directions.

I'm in that season.....not moving on from friends.....but moving on from the childbearing years, where my focuses were morning sickness, nursing, wondering if I would sleep ever again, planning my next pregnancy, talking birth stories.

Those conversations have ceased and given way to new conversations.

It's a weird thing to close a chapter of life.  I know good things are ahead, and I am excited to be moving on.  But, there are so many precious memories of the last decade that I am simply so thankful I've had the privilege to walk them out.

It's so silly that a series finale could conjure up so much emotion, but it literally came at the exact time that God is doing this work in me.  I love how He works.

He is so, so good.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Party Planning

Women Are Powerful

PLEASE READ