Give Your Family The Best Of You

I may have touched on this topic before, but it has been running through my brain a lot this week....so I wanted to talk about it some more.

One part of human nature (including myself) that saddens me more than anything is that we treat strangers/acquaintances better than we treat those closest to us (our family). People tend to give more grace, more kindness, and more forgiveness to those they may never see again.

Familiarity seems to breed criticism, frustration, complacency, and the like.

Today, I want to challenge you to be different. Challenge you to give the best of yourself to your family.

The people living under your roof are the few people who are going to be with you until the end. No matter where you move, no matter what your job, no matter what.....those in your family will always be there.

At the very least, give them the same decency you give strangers.
But my goal and my desire is to give my family my very best.

For instance (you know I am all about practicality)....
- When you are delivering a meal to a new mom, do you make her an elaborate meal while serving your family cereal that night??
I am not saying don't make the elaborate meal. Blessing a new mom is an amazing gift (and I believe it's important to teach your kids to serve others), but if it comes at the expense of your family, it is unwise (in my opinion). Bring the mom a meal, but maybe make it less extravagant so you can still bless your family.

- Do you stay up all night baking for your kids' school but never spontaneously make your husband's favorite cookies??
I actually have a rule that I allow my husband and kids to eat whatever I am making for another person. Some people may not agree with me....but say I am making a quiche for my mom's group, if Brett wants a piece, I let him have it (or making him his own, if possible, is fine, too). Sure, it may look silly to have a piece missing, but I believe it honors my husband and kids.

- Would you ever yell at a stranger? Probably not.

- I love to clean my house before having company. I love to bless my friends and have a welcoming home. Yet, if it comes at the expense of yelling at my kids or getting angry with my husband, it really isn't worth it.

I could go on and on. I am sure you get the point.

The people in our home are infinitely more valuable to us than those who come and go in a moment. That is both a joy and a responsibility.

I want my home to be a safe place. I want my husband to become the man God intends him to be. I want my kids to feel so loved and dream big dreams. I want their friends to love coming over. When my kids are grown, I want them to want to come visit. When people come over, I want them to leave full of love and excited about life. This comes from cultivating a loving, peaceful environment in your home.

By nurturing a good home environment, our kids will be so blessed. A place where loving words are spoken, where apologies abound (because obviously we will all fail), and where everyone is treated with dignity and respect will literally change the world.

I know I am not there yet, but I am on a journey to being the very best I can be for my family. Spending less time on the phone and internet, focusing more on my children and less on tasks, and figuring out what blesses my husband and doing that are all goals of mine right now.

Comments

  1. Sarah, this is such a true post. It also covered a lot of what God has been teaching me these past 6 years of being a mom! Unfortunately, I've gotten angry or yelled because company is coming. I've served at the expense of my kids. I can't even count how many times I've made a meal for someone else while serving my family sandwiches! Thanks for the awesome reminder! It seems I need it daily, if not more!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Party Planning

Women Are Powerful

PLEASE READ