The Chosen One

Happy Friday, blog friends! I am really enjoying dedicating each Friday to marriage and parenting. These are my passions in life, and there is so much to be said on each topic. I prayerfully consider what God wants me to focus on each week.

I have been so encouraged by those who give feedback about Family First Friday's! Thank you so much! I am so excited to see so many of my friends and family investing into their families. Way to go!!

As I was thinking about what I wanted to write this week, I thought back to when I first became a mom. To make a long story short, when Caleb was first born, I struggled immensely with "mommy guilt". I compared myself to other moms and found myself always falling short. I felt like I did nothing right, and I was going to ruin my child with my incompetence. I don't know what it is about pregnancy that makes everyone want to give you advice on children, but through all of my acquired information (from people and from reading different things), I just did not feel like I was a good mom.

In the last four years, God has taught me so much about motherhood. The biggest realization that He gave me (which I want to pass on to you) was that I am the one chosen to raise my children. God knows my strengths AND my weaknesses, yet He entrusted me to raise my brood. Likewise, He has entrusted you to raise your children.

I am not a perfect mom, but I am the perfect mom for my kids. Just as you are the perfect mom (or dad) for your kids. God has a unique destiny for each of our children, and who we are plays a part in that.

Comparing ourselves to other moms is easy to do, but it is dangerous. Instead of focusing on who God made you to be and offer your best to your children, you become focused on what you're not....and that is not fun for anyone.

I used to beat myself up about my shortcomings, but now I do my best to accept them. Of course, we all should constantly be growing and changing to become more like Christ...and even branch out of our comfort zone to try new things. But, we should not measure ourselves according to those around us.

Realizing you are the person God created to raise your children frees you to enjoy yourself and your children rather than work, in vain, to be something your not.

Celebrate the strengths of those around you and learn from them. I have definitely gleaned a wealth of information from other women in my life that has enriched me, and that is so wonderful. It just becomes a problem when you begin to feel like you're not enough.

You are enough, sweet mamas!! God created you uniquely and beautifully.

What are your strengths that make you the perfect mom for your children??

Comments

  1. This is GREAT Sarah. It's so easy to compare yourself to others, but hard to remember that God made us unique for our husband and kids. Thanks for that reminder Sarah, that was just what I needed today! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I totally needed this! Not only today, but since Bennett was born! This is definitely something I struggle with everyday. I know with my head knowledge that I am the perfect mom for him, but in my heart, I still feel less than perfect. This is a good everyday reminder for me. I always compare myself to other moms when it comes to getting your kids on a schedule, etc...I do have to remember that Bennett is only 2 months old and we have plenty of time for rigidity in our future...normally, I am a VERY rigid person but with him, I am more laid back and flexible...I guess I never really gave thought to that before this, but maybe that is just what he needs right now :) You are awesome Sarah. I don't think many people admit to these feelings when they first have a child, so I appreciate your honesty- it helps me to be vulnerable too without feeling bad about it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Party Planning

PLEASE READ

And Baby Makes 6