Praying For Our Children

My friend, Ashlie, recently shared with me how God gave her an answer for a very specific prayer she prayed about her son (who is absolutely adorable, as is her daughter). I was so encouraged, and it actually reminded me how important it is to pray for our children.

We definitely need to pray for our children. The Power of a Praying Parent by Stormie Omartian is an excellent resource for ideas on specific areas to cover our children in prayer. I've been praying through her book, and it has opened my eyes to start praying for things my children have not yet encountered (peer pressure, relationships, wisdom, etc).

Parents play a very important role in the outcome of our children. It is our job to equip them to become productive, contributing citizens to society. And it is our job to spiritually equip them to pursue Christ.

But the hard part is that they ultimately decide who and what they'll follow. Praying for them, I believe, drastically increases the odds of them choosing Christ and making good decisions throughout life.

Just as it is important to pray for our children, it is also very important to pray for wisdom in raising our children.

God is always faithful to show us the best way to raise our children. While I am good at praying for my children's future, I confess that I often forget to pray for the day-to-day needs of my children. Recently, I have tried to be more intentional about this.

Caleb is currently struggling with reacting poorly to situations. If he does not get his way, he gets mad and stomps off or throws things. I have started to pray for him to react with a better attitude and a more self-controlled spirit. I also pray for wisdom on what I should do when he reacts poorly. God is so faithful to give new ideas or remind me of something I already know to help remedy the situation.

Chloe's current struggles are potty training and not listening. My friend, Victoria, suggested taking Chloe potty even when she says she says she doesn't need to go. When I remember to take her often, she doesn't have accidents. Thank you, Jesus, for using Victoria to give me a new idea!! Fresh ideas/wisdom can come in a multitude of ways.
I am still praying about the not listening part, but since I just started praying a couple of days ago, I know God will give me a good answer!

Luke's current struggle is climbing on stuff, but that will just take growing up :).

In the dailyness of life, I can sometimes forget the importance of taking every need to the Father. He is always always faithful to answer us. Every need, no matter how small or large, matters to God. If it matters to you, it matters to God....even, in the scheme of eternity, it is not important...it matters to God.

God loves your children even more than you do, and He wants them to live life to the fullest. He has chosen you to raise your kids, and He will equip you with everything you need.

You just have to ask.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Party Planning

Women Are Powerful

PLEASE READ