Taking Time For Yourself

In wanting to write a new Family First Friday post, I am distracted.

The biggest distraction is we are in the midst of house hunting. I know God is going to give us an awesome house, but the process has been exhausting. If you think about it, I'd love your prayers for God's perfect house!!

My other distraction is I have a hair appointment tomorrow, and I am debating what I want done. I need a change, and since I am growing my hair out, color is the only other option. I think I am going brown...not dark brown but darker than I am now.

On that note, I have been thinking how important it is to take time out for yourself.

As a new mom, I felt so guilty leaving Caleb. In my mind, he was so important to me that leaving him felt wrong. I also knew a baby is hard work, so I felt bad leaving Brett home with him (which was so dumb; he's such a great dad!!).

Though I felt that way, I was TOTALLY wrong in my thinking.

Taking breaks from your kids is great for both you and them! Even if I get out of the house for an hour or two, I always come home refreshed. A refreshed mom is a good mom. Working yourself to the bone with no breaks is no good for anyone.

Wanting to take breaks and actually taking them is two different things, so you have to make it a priority to get time away. Schedule it in pen if you have to, but be sure to get out of the house for a few hours. When you do get the time away, do something that energizes you!

I hate to grocery shop, so I never go to the store on my time off. I'd rather take all three kids while Brett is at work (which is what I normally do) than go during my breaks.

Personally, when I have time off, I usually get a Starbucks and go shopping. I don't spend a lot of money (I don't always buy stuff), but shopping (except for groceries) brings me life. A couple of times a year, I get a pedicure.
Next year, I plan to take one hour a week to plan (in-depth) our week's activities/school lessons.

As I said, I used to feel guilty leaving my kids. Now that I realized that's ridiculous, I treasure my alone time.

When I come back home, I am so ready to be a mom again!! Stuff that completely frustrated me before my break seems so minor once I return home.

Do yourself a favor: get out of the house today (or tomorrow). Hopefully your husband can watch the kids for a few hours, but if he can't, hire a sitter or switch with a friend. Just find a way to get a break!!

When you return, DO NOT criticize your husband's caretaking skills. Who cares if the kids watched TV for three hours?? So what if they don't get bathed that night?? I promise they'll live.
The quickest way to make parenting way harder than it has to be is to criticize the way your husband does it. There are many, many studies that prove that his ways are just as great as yours....and very necessary for your kids' development.

Enjoy your time away from your sweet babies today!! By the time you read this, I will probably be regretting dyeing my hair brown. But at least I'll be refreshed and ready to be the mom my kids deserve!!

What away-from-home activities bring you life and refresh your soul??



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Party Planning

Women Are Powerful

And Baby Makes 6