Two Funny Stories

I mentioned yesterday that I was kinda fearful about our finances once we purchase our new home. I know fear is not from God, and I know we're not being careless. I prayed that God would take away my fear.

So I go to read my Bible (I have been reading The Message paraphrase version and have been really getting a lot out of it...it is so much easier for me to understand!) and read this today:

In Matthew 17--> Jesus said, "Then the children get off free, right? But so we don't upset them needlessly, go down to the lake, cast a hook, and pull in the first fish that bites. Open its mouth and you'll find a coin. Take it and give it to the tax men. It will be enough for both of us."

I prayed, "God, you can put a coin in a fish's mouth, so you can easily provide for our needs. Thanks for the reminder."

(On a side note: I realize that buying a nice home isn't necessarily a "need", and that many other people around the world have true needs. So forgive my lack of perspective, but also I do believe this is the life God has called us to live. I do struggle in the balance of not living for this world and its materialism but also embracing where and who God has called me to minister to. It's a fine line that I cannot fully figure out.)

After praying and letting God handle my provision, I went upstairs to change into more comfortable shorts. No joke: I found a $5 bill in the pocket!!! They're shorts I only wear around the house, so it's strange there's money in them. I guess that was my "coin in the fish's mouth" lesson for the day :).

Thank you, Jesus.


Another funny story happened recently....
As a backstory, one of my desires in life is to have a home where people drop by unannounced. I want close enough friends where they just stop by without calling. In an age where it takes at least two weeks to plan anything, I really long for spontaneity.

I had a dream one night where people did just that: stopped by without an invitation. I woke up excited!! God speaks to me a lot through dreams...not in a new age sort of way, but in a way similar to men/women in the Bible. It's probably the only time I stay quiet long enough for Him to talk :).

I am not even kidding....
Two days later, two of our old college students from KC and a friend of theirs showed up at my door!!! Two of them had stayed the night with us a few days earlier and were flying out of Ft. Lauderdale that night. They had picked up our friend (who Brett knew was coming but did not know when) at the airport and came to say goodbye before they left.
The funny part is that they tried to call, but the call wouldn't go through.

It made me smile how quickly the dream came to fruition....and I hope it's a sign of things to come!!

God is so funny! I love His sense of humor :).

Comments

  1. "I do struggle in the balance of not living for this world and its materialism but also embracing where and who God has called me to minister to." Have you read the book Radical:Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream? It is amazing and addresses our call to a Christlike lifestyle with regard to our finances and focus.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I would love to hear from you!

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Party Planning

PLEASE READ

And Baby Makes 6