Homeschool

We are about one month into homeschooling, and I love it! I was unsure how it would go, but so far, so good. I am so thankful for the opportunity to teach my son! I know it is not for everyone, but it definitely is a good fit for our family.

Just to look back one day (and laugh at myself), I thought I'd share what my thoughts on homeschooling so far.

The positives:
- I still get lots of quality time with Caleb
- Chloe is interested in learning along with Caleb (though I don't let her do everything because I want to keep it special)
- It is so awesome watching Caleb learn
- I am learning things I never knew (yes, even in Kindergarten). I was a good student, but I only learned to test well....this time around, I am actually learning!
- Our school day starts about 9:30, so no getting up early for me (yay!). We are usually up by 7:45, but we don't have to rush out the door
- I love the freedom
- Because it is one-on-one with Caleb, it is a good time of growth for both of us. He doesn't always love to do school work, so there has already been some good character building! I realize that if he were in school, he would do exactly what his teacher asked without falling on the ground and complaining :), but those are good opportunities to teach him!
- I love love love love being with my kids, so I am excited that, at least for awhile, that won't have to change!


The not-so-positives:
- I spent every single day of my life as a student in a public school, so it has been very difficult for me to not follow the model of traditional school. I am not anti- traditional school, but it does not translate well to the home. It is hard for me to grasp that a trip to the park is just as educational as a worksheet....that all of life is an educational opportunity. Those things are so valuable, but it is hard for me to get that.
When I was in school, the focus of my school field trips was to flirt with the boy I liked at the time and to talk with my friends. Priorities :). But that's a reason it's hard for me to grasp. I guess that will come in time.
- Realizing I am responsible for my child's education is daunting, at times. I try not to think about it, but every once in awhile, the thought overwhelms me. If they don't learn something, it's on me. That's kind of a big deal.
- I have had a hard time balancing school with social activities. I love being out and about with friends, so it is sometimes hard to prioritize school.


Well, there you have it.....a view into my brain....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chloe's Party Planning

Women Are Powerful

PLEASE READ